Log-inRegisterFacebook
SitemapContact
Project
Depron Delta version 2 - AUW 183g. 4 channel, streamline oh and 700g thrust hehe
Category
Published
Jul 06 2012 by FaTe
Reference URL
Share



You can view Version 1 (the original) by clicking here.



Thanks go out to MyFlyDream.com who supply my FPV equipment :)



The "Depron delta" as I'm calling it was a challenge at first to build in 1 hour, now though I want a version which takes all the ideas I've had since in the design. The challenge this time was not time based but speed based, I wanted a fast micro delta and as Version 2 is the same span size and length as the original more power is required.






1-9MM
This time I wanted a thicker fuselage so I bonded 2 sheets of depron together using 3M spray. 1 sheet was 6MM thickness and the other 3MM so total thickness of 9MM.



2-inline-servos
I came up with the idea of in-line servos on the GS-Micro flyer project and it worked really well. Benefits are 0 torque loss via control lines and the greatest amount of throw (travel distance) possible.



3-elevon-servos
I added a strip of 3MM depron across the top and bottom to support the cut out area and reduce tension on the servos but instead travel across the plates.



4-tail-fin
Version 1 was prone to flat-spins which can be fun but not always. This tail is much bigger at 11*14CM.






5-mark-out-tail-location
Marking out the tail location will save you messing on while your glue is already curing. Obvious advice but there you go.



6-ensure-pure-right-angle
The whole entire "by-eye" technique only goes so far, a right angle like this will ensure you get a pure right angle, vertical tail.



7-rudder-servo
The original demonstrated how much I missed having a rudder so I was sure to have one this time. The servo is flat and embedded in the fuselage for minimum drag resistance.



8-flush-rudder-servo
Again 3MM depron panel top with only the servo arm exposed makes for a sleek model.






9-balsa-plastic-engine-mount
Version 1 did rip it's own engine off mid-flight at full power which was since fixed but now I have 5 times the power I wanted a much stronger mount. So I used balsa wood (pre-cut control surface type) on the top and bottom and then added a 2MM plastic (PVC) mount. I used UHU por to initially stick it then Beli-Zell for strength.



10-elevons-balsa-tips
The Elevons require a strip of plywood (1.5<>2MM) on the ends for the servo arms to screw into, it also allows for future replacing of the servos if needed.



11-sunk-receiver
The rudder servo weighs 4.3g and my FrSky 4 channel receiver weighs 4.4g so I simply sunk it into the direct opposite side from the rudder servo at the same distance from the tail (it does not matter as long as same distance for equal COM (Center Of Mass)).



12-receiver-cover-engine-mount
I also covered the receiver with 3MM depron and then screwed the engine mount onto it's new mounting plate which you can see I've sanded down smooth.






13-ESC-wire-gully-sunk
I wanted to mount the ESC in the middle but give as much room to move the lipo as possible. So I created a gully (Keeping the cut out depron!) for the control lines to run back.



14-ESC-fitted-covered
Using the original cut out depron I trimmed it down a little and used it to cover the ESC lines back up. The ESC itself now sits in direct center with maximum airflow but minimal drag.



15-rudder-hinged
The rudder now hinged in place (I opted for real hinges this time not tape). I used a swivel lock bit on the control horn so it has more play while staying secure.



16-AUW-183g
So here we go, AUW ready weight is 183g at this point.






17-decals-test-pilot
My test pilot in his place lol (Provided kindly by Dennis (thanks)). Also some decal stickers as well as MyFlyDream.com



18-mvc-pegasus-logo
MVC Pegasus tags and overall top view.



19-bottom-decals
I used decals I did not use from my Parkmaster 3D. So I kind of cut them whichever way I though would work to make a bright easily viewable bottom.



20-front-view
Front view looks excellent. Mean in scale terms that pilot with that motor in front of him would be like putting a Rolls Royce jet engine from a 747 on a 20 foot wing and strapping yourself on lol.




If your thinking those decals and the pilot all add weight... then your right. They added an entire 3 grams!!!



Final AUW: 185 grams with 700 grams thrust giving me power to weight ratio of 3.78 : 1 hehe.



Components in this project: - Each is a link to the product itself if available.







Other projects you might like