Project
900MM DLG glider at 182 grams with ailerons
Category
Published
Aug 08 2012 by FaTe
Share
Quick jump
Well this is version 5 of my DLG builds. You've only seen 2 other versions here on FaTedev as the 2 after failed so badly I didn't even bother to try fly them. However I decided to dump the solid balsa wing and go for a composite of depron and balsa and also increased my wingspan.
/media/DLG/V5/1-3MM-depron-sanded-profile
I used 3MM depron for the wing core, sanded as a round edge on the leading edge and a gradual slope off like a typical Clark profile.
/media/DLG/V5/2-2MM-balsa-velpon-bottom-weights
Using 2MM balsa wood I used Velpron mount board spray to bond it on the bottom of the wing then used weights to hold it while drying.
/media/DLG/V5/3-bottom-balsa-dried
The wing already is more rigid that just depron. It's exactly 10CM wide by 90CM span.
/media/DLG/V5/4-2MM-carbon-fibre-rod-embedded
To make the wing even more rigid I added a 2MM carbon fibre rod across the entire span which also my throw peg will bond too.
/media/DLG/V5/5-top-2MM-balsa-same-process
Now the top balsa is also bonded using the same method, except because of the shape I used a towel between weights and wing top.
/media/DLG/V5/6-54-grams-before-sanding
54 grams and the wing is not sanded or treated yet.
/media/DLG/V5/7-tail-wing-epoxy-coat-drying
I used thin epoxy to coat the wing and tail and wiped off all excess.
/media/DLG/V5/8-surfaces-sanded-now-76g
Now all the surfaces are sanded they weigh in at 76 grams but I'm super happy with how strong they are.
/media/DLG/V5/9-fuselage-wing-mount-balsa-glass
The wing mount has 2 nuts inside for nylon bolts. I embedded them inside a hardwood core then used regular balsa on top and bottom. Over that goes fibre glass epoxied.
/media/DLG/V5/10-hardwood-balsa-CA-CF
Can see how the bolt fits in, note the cut out in corner for aileron servo.
/media/DLG/V5/11-aileron-servo-demo
A better view of how the aileron servo fits in.
/media/DLG/V5/12-demo-wing-fitting
The wing bolted onto the fuselage and it's totally secure and rock solid. I am not worried about transfer stress on the fuselage from throwing at all.
/media/DLG/V5/13-rfsky-rx-2S-lipo
Like DLG version 3 I decided to direct solder all components direct to the RfSky FRF4 RX unit. Saves space and weight having no plugs.
/media/DLG/V5/14-nose-platform-hardwood
I used a piece of 2MM ply wood to make the base of the nose then epoxied another piece to sandwich the carbon rod.
/media/DLG/V5/15-139g-demo-weight
Now I can start to get a feel for a final weight but still not finished. 139 grams so far.
/media/DLG/V5/16-nose-sides-fitted
I used a block of balsa on the nose and sanded it too shape then used 2MM balsa to make sides.
/media/DLG/V5/17-lipo-in-place
Mock up of the lipo fitting it's quite snug but it does have a velcro patch also.
/media/DLG/V5/18-mock-up-so-far
I skipped how I did control lines as I repeat the same process using carbon fibre rods and heat-shrink pipe in every project.
/media/DLG/V5/19-Chinese-fate-Dutch-flag
Seeing as most of the parts are Chinese I dubbed it fate but in Chinese, along side is the Netherlands flag.
/media/DLG/V5/20-English-tag-frsky
Opposite wing side is the English tag and FrSky-RC decals which show up really nice on balsa.
/media/DLG/V5/21-nose-glassed
Now to re-enforce the nose with fibre glass wrapped around it. I used CA glue to bond it, was smelly but it's like a rock.
/media/DLG/V5/22-tip-sides-glassed
The sides also are covered from the same piece of cloth to make them very solid for only being 2MM thick.
/media/DLG/V5/23-glass-sanded-smooth
Now all sanded down and smooth I got a first look of the whole balsa looking model and I like it.
/media/DLG/V5/24-21g-lead-balance-cog
I required 21 grams of lead to balance COG so I put them under the nose and left it bare for it's maiden so I can tweak.
/media/DLG/V5/25-AUW-flying-weight-182-grams
Finally on the scales with lipo so All Up Weight (AUW) showing 182 grams. My limit I set myself was 250<>300 grams so I am well below that. Overall it took about (EXCLUDING epoxy dry time) 8 hours to build this model in total which I think is pretty good for the result. Now for the maiden!

It was getting really dark before the wind complied so did a few throws and found it does fly but needs trimming and maybe a little more nose weight for launching.
Other projects you might like