SpeedFreak III set-ups. Different wings, motors, ESC, lipos and more!
May 13 2013 by FaTe
Big thanks to www.FrSky-RC.com
for providing the Receiver unit for this project :)
I wanted to show how adaptable the SpeedFreak III design is, starting with wings first. I wanted a good range of wings!
The very first wing. Has 5 degrees dihedral, is 70CM in span and 1CM thick in the root of the wing leading out to 4MM with a tapered trailing edge but a straight leading edge.
This wing flew very nice, its a good balance of decent speed and has gliding ability at dead stick throttle.
Going on from the 1st wing I wanted to go faster so while upgrading the motor I thought a thinner shorter wing would be better (60CM). But to keep lots of surface area I increased the width at the root cord from 14 to 16.5CM, this makes the wing overlap at the back.
Flying this wing give me real demonstration of what this design is capable of. The speed and general glide speed are very fast and my top end + cruise speed increased.
This design is a bit harder to explain as it was a design idea I had which took several weeks to research if it ever existed in the past which it did not after even checking with Nasa!
You can read more on my forum post here: [a]www.fatedev.com/Forum?Do=Topic&ID=147&Perma=New+wing+flap+design+-+The+FaTedev+multi-flap[/a]
So now I have a wing which is a mix of fast/gliding, a wing for just fast, a prototype wing in development and finally this new gliding wing.
It's a 1 meter solid balsa wing 6MM thick fully sanded to profile by hand. The aileron servos sit in the back of the wing in the center flat level with the wing. The servo arms directly connect to the ailerons for zero control lines or linkages. This makes for a super sleek thin wing with a massive surface area of 1000cm2!
The SpeedFreak III allows me to use all types of motors because of the way I designed it. Most models only allow one type of motor to be mounted, for example back mounted motors only etc. I did not want to get caught in this trap.
The 1st motor on was the original motor from the SpeedFreak II. The Turnigy Air 1650kv 180w out-runner. This eventually went back on after the following 2 Turnigy motors disappointed me.
I got 2 Turnigy high thrust motors, an 1100kv and 1400kv version of each. You can see these motors mount on the back to the main firewall. They where quite fast I won't say they where slow, but not fast enough for me!
This is the 4th motor. It's designed for 450 helicopters and is 3650kv running on a 30A Turnigy Plush ESC. I need a prop adapter but this thing sounds like a dentist air tool lol quite fast!
Unfortunately it mounts on the front with the entire back spinning so the original set-up won't work. I didn't however want to totally remove the option of being able to use both types of motors.
Instead I opted to create my own custom mount which bolts into the top and bottom of the original firewall area. Both the original firewall and the new motor mount are both fibreglass re-enforced set in place using epoxy. I can stand on the new motor mount! Says enough.
I used the same blue colour film I use on the wings but first used a black marker over the plywood to make it go super dark which offsets against the red very nice. Now I can choose from a huge range of 450 helicopter motors, normal out-runners, normal in-runners and even some EDF motors!!!
I want some time to find what works best out of all the new configurations and use that to build version 4 which I have some final ideas on stream lining, making the model overall easier to construct and of course maximum speed