Log-inRegisterFacebook
SitemapContact
Project
Multiplex Park Master 3D - Re-enforcement mods and videos.
Category
Published
Apr 20 2011 by FaTe
Share
I've been flying for over quite some years by now and have always stuck to aerobatic models. I wanted to go a step further into 3/4D flight and the Park Master 3D by Multiplex is quite something special.



I'm using a Futaba 6EX digital 2.5GHZ transmitter / receiver with the recommended Park Master motor pack containing motor and ESC. With this kind of aircraft you have very large control surfaces for extremely quick turning abilities so I wanted 2 rates. On low rates most of the controls are only moving 45-60% their capacity with full rates giving all 100% movement. I only use low rates for taking off now as I normally like to harrier (hover) into a landing with being on grass.




Used in this project:

  • Carbon fibre strip 10MM & 3MM

  • CA - model glue by Multiplex

  • Hobby knife


Park Master 3D image






So why the modifications?


The following video was my 2nd flight with this plane, I attached the 11 gram camera in a rough position and off I went.



Mid-flight I suddenly lost elevator control (pitch up/down) later discovering the control line had totally come off!



I figured the bolts for the control horn collar must of worked lose and the entire line between servo and elevator came off. The first upgrade worth mentioning is fitting locking nuts (those with a rubber grommet inside) on all control horns.













Park Master 3D image Park Master 3D image Park Master 3D image Park Master 3D image
First is re-enforcing the nose area of the fuselage which after my elevator accident left a twist. I'm using the 10MM carbon fibre strip which is 16CM long (6 inches) just above the fibre glass rod which runs down the entire fuselage. Notice the marked line (one on each side). Here's a mock fitting to ensure the cut is deep enough. You can also see where I have moved the battery pack back by cutting out the rear indented block and glued it up front, harriers are much easier now. I applied CA to both sides of the carbon fibre strip and VERY quickly inserted it into position, while it was still wet I quickly by eye pushed the fuselage back straight until it dried. Repeat the process on the opposite site, the nose area is now solid and has no play. The last small yet important modification is adding a 15MM piece of 2MM wide carbon fibre strip on the rudder bottom. This is where it contacts the ground and will wear down very quickly if you try tarmac / other hard surface take-off or landings, let this little strip take the scrapes and when its worn simply replace it!




Today wasn't the greatest day either with my battery pack obviously not getting a full charge I lost power only 4 and half minutes into my flight! No damage though which is always good :)







Next will be finding a proper home for on-board video and maybe even first person view live video, still considering my options.

Other projects you might like